Apple has announced the 4th generation iPhone today. It sports a front facing camera for video calling, an upgraded 5 megapixel camera for high quality photos and HD video. The phone features the new iOS 4 operating system which has the following new features: Multitasking, Folders, iBooks, 5x digital zoom, customisable wallpaper, spell checking and wireless keyboard support.
During Steve Job’s presentation the quality of the build of the phone was emphasized, with Apple using special glass and plastics. They also packed the insides tight so they could fit a larger battery and increase battery life.
Power and battery2
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
- Talk time:
- up to 7 hours on 3G
- up to 12 hours on 2G
- Standby time: up to 300 hours
- Internet use:
- up to 6 hours on 3G
- up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
- Video playback: up to 10 hours
- Audio playback: up to 40 hours
Full specs can be found here: http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/specs.html.
Just days after the launch of the 2.1 updated for the iPod touch Apple has released it for the iPhone. The list of claimed improvments is quite impressive however only time will tell of the degree of improvments, if any at all. Major points include 3G signal strength display and improved battery life. After I have road tested this update for a few days I will report back on my experiences. Continue reading for the full list of improvments.
iPhone 2.1 Software Update
iPhone version 2.1 contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
• significantly improved battery life for most users
• dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• faster installation of 3rd party applications
• fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
• improved performance in text messaging
• faster loading and searching of contacts
• improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
• repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
• option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
• Genius playlist creation
Apple today has released an updated version of its popular flagship software. iTunes has been under the version 7 since the end of 2006 so this update is a much anticipated one.
Continue reading iTunes 8 released